PECAN PUMPKIN PIE
One 3 LB Pumpkin or Winter Squash
- 1 9" Pie Shell
1 1/4 Cups Heavy Cream
1/2 Cup Packed Light Brown Sugar
2 Tbsp Maple Syrup
- 3 Large Egg Yolks Plus 1 Whole Egg, Room Temperature
- 1 Tsp Vanilla Extract
- 3/4 Tsp Ground Ginger
- 3/4 Tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1/4 Tsp Nutmeg
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 1/2 Cup All-Purpose Flour
- 1/3 Cup Light Brown Sugar
- 1/4 Tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1/8 Tsp Kosher Salt
- 1/8 Tsp Baking Powder
- 3/4 Stick Unsalted Butter, Cut Into Small Pieces
- 1/2 Cup Roughly Chopped Pecans
Roasting the Pumpkin
1) Cut the pumpkin or winter squash in half and remove the seeds with a spoon.
2) Place the pumpkin or winter squash halves, cut side down, on a baking sheet with raised edges. Add a small amount of water to the baking sheet to improve the steaming process.
3) Bake the pumpkin or winter squash for 1 hour at 400 degrees, or until the pumpkin meat can be easily pierced with a fork.
4) Remove the pumpkin or winter squash from the oven and allow to cool.
Making the Pecan Crumble
1) Whisk the flour, baking powder, sugar, salt, and cinnamon in a mixing bowl.
2) Massage the butter into the flour mixture until it is clumpy and moist.
3) Add the pecans and mix until the pecans are well-incorporated.
4) Chill mixture for 30 minutes.
Making the Pie Filling
1) Once the pumpkin or winter squash is cooled, use a large spoon to collect 2 1/4 cups of the flesh.
2) Place the flesh in a blender and add heavy cream, sugar, maple syrup, eggs, vanilla, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.
3) Blend or puree until the mixture is creamy and smooth.
Baking the Pie
1) Pour the pie filling into the pie shell and smooth until evenly spread amongst the shell.
2) Liberally sprinkle the pecan crumble mixture on top.
3) Place the pie on a baking sheet and cook in a 375 degree, preheated oven, on the bottom rack for 30 minutes.
4) Rotate the pie and move to the center of the oven. Cook for an additional 30 minutes.
5) Remove the pie from the oven and allow it to cool for at least 3 hours.
6) Eat it now, or cover the pie and place in the fridge for a delicious, cool treat!