Okree and tomatoes is quite the southern delicacy! There are a quite a few variations of this depending on the kitchen, but our preparation is quick and easy with minimal ingredients. We prefer to serve okree and tomatoes over white rice with cubed steak as a meat, but feel free to experiment depending on what you have.
- 1 Large Onion
- 2 Large Sweet Peppers
- 1 Pound Fresh Okree
- 1 Quart Stewed Tomatoes
1) Dice the onion and peppers. We like to use a colorful array of sweet peppers, but use what you have. If you enjoy a little heat, add a few hot peppers as well.
2) Chop the okree into 1/4 - 1/2" slices. The larger pieces will maintain their shape and texture better during the cooking process.
3) Add the onions and peppers to a hot skillet on medium-high heat. Add salt and pepper to taste. Sauté until for 5 minutes or until slight browning starts to occur.
4) Add the chopped okree to the hot skillet and sauté for 10-15 minutes or until okree starts to become tender.
5) Once the okree is tender, add the quart of stewed tomatoes to the hot skillet and stir well to incorporate all the ingredients with the stewed tomatoes.
6) Reduce the heat, add salt and pepper to taste, and simmer for 10-15 minutes. The flavors will really start to develop during this simmering process, so simmer as long as you'd like!
7) Spoon the okree and tomatoes over white rice and enjoy!